4.3 Data Ethics consequences
In the following a few cases of how data ethics are addressed are given.
4.3.1 Researcher stops his work due to ethical concerns
Joe Redmon, the creator of You Only Look Once (YOLO) with a huge impact on modern object detection stopped doing any computer vision research due to ethical concerns.
This is huge.— Jeremy Howard ((jeremyphoward?)) February 20, 2020
The creator of the YOLO algorithms, which (along with SSD) set much of the path of modern object detection, has stopped doing any computer vision research due to ethical concerns.
I've never seen anything quite like this before. https://t.co/jzu1p4my5V
YOLO is a state-of-the-art, real time object detection system.
4.3.2 Career: Oxford seeks AI ethics professor
The question is, who should or should not be involved in the decisions about the faith of AI?
- Associate Professorship or Professorship in Philosophy
- Apply for University of Oxford - Faculty of Philosophy (Ethics in AI)
4.3.3 Shaping Europe’s digital future: Commission presents strategies for data and Artificial Intelligence
On February 19th 2020 the EU commission presented its strategies for data and AI. https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_273
Today we are presenting our ambition to shape Europe’s digital future. It covers everything from cybersecurity to critical infrastructures, digital education to skills, democracy to media. I want that digital Europe reflects the best of Europe – open, fair, diverse, democratic, and confident.Ursula von der Leyen, President of the Commission
As key objectives in digital technologies over the next five years the commission will focus on three areas
Key objectives in digital technologies:
- Technology that works for people
- Fair and competitive economy
- Open, democratic and sustainable society
Furthermore the commission wants the EU to be the trustworthy leader of AI as well as in the data economy
- Europe as a leader in trustworthy Artificial Intelligence
- excellent research centers
- accelerate deployment of AI
- smaller and medium-sized enterprises
- attract and keep talent
- need to address high-risk AI systems
- without putting too much burden on less risky ones
- Europe as a leader in the data economy
European data space
- single market
Commission propose to establish right regulatory framework regarding data governance
Commission will invest in data spaces and cloud infrastructures